People find joy in helping others and giving back to the community is a great way to do so. There are many benefits to giving back to others such as making social connections with those around you, gaining a new perspective, and boosting your self-esteem. There are a lot of wonderful opportunities out there that may inspire you to start a fundraiser of your own. Check out some easy fundraising ideas below for inspiration on how you can help your community.
Organize a Food Drive
The need for food is all around us. With a growing US population, food pantries and other charitable organizations run short on food to provide to those in need. Organizing a food drive is one of the easiest events you can set up. Follow these steps below to organize one today!
- First, you will need to decide which organization you are going to donate food to. There are local food banks and homeless shelters in every community, so research which one you want to give back to and find out what type of food they are most in need of. If you want suggestions on food organizations in need, start by reaching out to your local food bank. You can find them listed at feedingamerica.org.
- Decide how you want to collect the food. Will you have a single-site drop off location on a specific date and time? Is it easier to host an extended food drive where multiple location points with drop boxes are available and can be spread out over multiple days or weeks? Or is it best to have an event-related food drive where you can partner with local events such as a sports game or a music concert? The choice is yours!
- Once you have decided how long your fundraiser will last, figure out how many volunteers you will need in order to make this event a success. Ask family, friends, colleagues, and neighbors to help out and spread the word about your fundraiser. Some responsibilities of volunteers could include: creating and distributing flyers with event details, promoting the event through their social groups, helping setup and clean up the event, or even transporting the food items to the local food bank.
Once you have the details above figured out, event day will be a breeze. Remember to relax and enjoy yourself because this great cause is bringing members of the community together. All the hard work and dedication will pay off as those in need will be grateful and will appreciate the time and effort that went in to helping them out.
Host a Used Book Sale
What better way to raise money than through a used book sale? Books are everywhere and most likely people have old textbooks and reading books lying around their home that they don’t use anymore. With so many extra books waiting to get donated, it is a great opportunity to help out a local charity. Not only will the proceeds of a book sale go to a charitable organization, but also all of the books that are unsold can be donated to a local library or school in need. This is an excellent opportunity to help those in need through the power of literature. Below are some ideas to help get you started to ensure your event is a success.
- First it is important to figure out what programs in your local community are in need of your help. Research organizations and set a realistic goal of the amount of money you want to raise.
- Volunteers are important when it comes to events. Reach out to your friends, family, coworkers, neighbors, etc. to see if they will lend a hand to help you out. They can help you with setup and cleanup, promotion, coordination with the charity(ies) involved, categorizing books, etc. As books are getting dropped off, it is best to categorize them (fiction, non-fiction, paperback, hardback, adult, children’s, etc.) and price them accordingly.
- The day of the event make sure that you have small bills readily available as well as shopping bags or boxes for those who purchase any books.
- After the sale is over, schedule a pick-up or drop-off of any unsold books and any books that aren’t claimed. It is important to donate them.
We all have some extra time in our lives to help make a positive and lasting impact in our communities. These are just a few ideas for inspiration to start your own fundraiser. Helping others is extremely rewarding and you can have fun doing it.
- Interval Walking
September 8, 2017
It’s no surprise the most popular exercise in the United States is walking. The low-impact, gentle nature of the exercise has proven to be beneficial even if it doesn’t always feel like you’re...
- Taking Great Travel Photos!
September 1, 2017
Traveling is a favorite pastime for thousands of people all over the world. Whether you’re exploring abroad or taking a road trip with some friends, making memories is a big part of the plan. To...
- Money-Making Hobbies
August 25, 2017
Thanks to the internet, the world is getting smaller. People are more connected now than ever before and many folks are cashing in on that connectedness. Some rent their spare rooms, others drive...